Monday, October 3, 2011

My most recent non-volunteer volunteer activity

This past weekend I signed up to "volunteer" at NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon's annual fundraising gala. I wanted to lend a hand, because I strongly believe in their cause, and I knew that they were very effective at what they do. Their staff of four managed to elect pro-choice candidates at every level of government. Their volunteer phone banks made more calls in the last election than any other organization in Oregon. Ensuring that Oregon remain one of the last three states in the nation that does not have any restrictions on a women's right to an abortion.

Pause for applause. It's well deserved.

I chose to bring my favorite volunteer with me to the gala. She was most recently hired at my work to admin for the IT & Fiscal Teams. Another pause for applause. It's definitely warranted.

A friend of mine is the volunteer cooridnator for them. She needed volunteers to fill tables, and help clean up at the end. She had plenty of volunteers there. They didn't necessarily need my help...and my ride came early.

I didn't actually end up helping them with anything, so gave them 50 bucks, and called it a day.

Moral of the story. Volunteering is great, but donating is important. People that work at non-profits spend much of their energy trying to get your money. Make it easy on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment