Friday, September 16, 2011

Toning Down on 9/11

Update: I met with the fellas over at SpeerCreative. They are charged with the daunting task of turning my crass blog into a respectable web-site capable of supporting a project of this magnitude. While parsing out with them what I need to make this idea a reality, I realized that need to cultivate a tone that is more amicable to the non-profit do-gooder community.


Needless to say, my rant on 9/11 doesn't exactly cultivate the culture of oneness that I need here. I'm trying to demonstrate that service and volunteerism are valuable characteristics of a healthy functioning society. Lines need not be drawn in the sand. 


So please, bear with me as I try again:
_________


In early 2009, the decided to rename September 11th as a National Day of Service and Remembrance.  Communitiy organization were challenged to create service opportunites to engage people in service on or near September 11th. 


I was the contact for volunteers at the two largest food banks in Oregon. They told us that, "service activities should honor those who died and those who have served because of the tragedies of 9/11, and include a time of reflection and remembrance." 


Huh? It would be fitting to put one of those scratching stopping record noises here

You mean to tell me that in the honor of those who died at the hands of this horrible act of violence we are going to honor those that continue to commit horrible acts of violence? rrright....

Yes, yes, granted a Service Day is better than  Patriot Day, but of course we needed to do both.

**Le Sigh**

Instead, I'd like to argue that on this particular day, we should be focusing on global unity and understanding. Perhaps there is an opportunity here. Perhaps we can aim to be bigger than our enemies. We can choose to foster an environment that "combats terrorism" through education and humility. It might be a refreshing change of pace.

Therefore I'd like to call (as if I have any power) for yet another rebranding of 9/11. 

September 11th: International Day of Service, Peace & Understanding 

IDSPU? hmm. OK. open to other name ideas, but you get the idea.

On this day, community groups all over the world participate in service activities that support cross-cultural understanding and peace through education. Examples? perhaps one could organize a large service activity with their church and their local mosque. Maybe a letter writing campaign to end war or promote a social justice program? or working with an organization like IRCO that supports immigrants and refugees. 

OK, fine. Maybe I'm a dreamer.....but I'm not the only one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment