Friday, September 23, 2011

You're Going to What?

Last entry, I passively mentioned a "project of this magnitude." It seems like now is as good a time as any to explain exactly what I mean by that.

In the upcoming months, I plan to change nearly aspect of my life. I am going to quit my job, sell the rest of my earthly possessions, leave my house and volunteer my free time to worthy causes here and around the world.

View from my desk.
Deep breath.

I plan on writing about my experiences and putting it on a bomb web-site that makes volunteer opportunities and good causes accessible to anyone with the internet. I'd like to focus on the process of getting involved as a volunteer, and the best ways to help out those who need it.

It can be a daunting experience to choose a volunteer opportunity that fits your time frame, mind set and skills. Many times, it can be a challenge for an already stretched thin organization to properly use the expertise of each person that walks through their door. Finding an international opportunity only compounds these issues.

And when it really comes down to it, you want to be helpful to an organization, not harmful.

Anyway, I plan to give it a try. I've saved up some money, gained a few skills, made some connections and now? Now, I'm ready to throw it all to the wind. I hope to help some valuable organizations and inspire others to get involved in whatever capacity possible. 

You only live once, you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment