Thursday, March 15, 2012

Getting There's Half the Fun (Readers Choice Edition)


Last month, I asked everyone that cared to notice what sort of volunteer projects I should try out during my final days Portland. I planned to stick around for approximately three months before I attempt to bike myself to the Redwoods. I think it’s especially important to spend some of my time in California’s beautiful state parks because they are facing lots of budget cutsthat threaten the state's park system-- so, good choice team. This past time around I had a total of 7 votes (Yes, I was one of them) and we voted as follows:
  • After school skate program with middle schoolers (28%) – I’m doing this. I don’t go every week, but each time I can, I have tons of fun. The kids are amazing.  I will be able to volunteer with them until Mid-May. It has been very rewarding, and I have even been learning how to skate board!One thing that I have been looking into because of this experience is how to write grants. Not an easy endeavor. Advice welcome. I want to see the skate camp program expanded to an actual summer and/or weekend camp. These kids need more mentor time than just Wednesdays after school.
  • Make a political info graphic with a local animator (28%) This? Not so much. The local animator with all the skills needed to spend her valuable time working on a for money project. Being a starving artist isn’t nearly as fun as it sounds. Hopefully, however, we will be able to work together to edit some videos for the blog. She’s incredibly talented, and I’d love to be able to share some of her work with all of ya’ll.
  • Community Cycling Center fixing bikes (28%) I also haven’t done this. However, since the poll has closed, and the internet has spoken; it sounds like this is something that I will have to give a try. Upon initial research, it looks like I will need to fill out an application, go to an orientation and then I can drop in on one of the times where they recycle and fix up bicycles to give out to low-income kids during their Holiday Bike Drive. This would probably be a good thing for me to do before I leave. I need to learn  how to fix all those things on a bike that inevitably will happen to me on the road.    
  • Random episodic projects from Hands on Portland (14%) This I have been doing. So far, I’ve volunteered at The Rebuilding Center and Potluck in the Park. I could not praise the Hands On Network enough. They make it so easy for new volunteers to get involved. I had so much fun at the Rebuilding Center pulling out nails that I signed up to do it again. I may even pick one or two more projects to try through Hands On Portland, especially since I may have recruited some extra folks to join me. Score!
So the votes have been tallied and my path is clear. I will need to volunteer with the Community Cycling Center & complete a political info graphic with a local animator before I leave for this journey. OK. I’m not so sure about making a political info graphic though. My animator has other projects to tend to. I guess I could take pictures and tell a story about something I really care about and commit it to video. I can do that. Perhaps I will write a simple piece about volunteering or volunteer travel. That’s not a bad idea. I'll give it a go.

Thank you voting audience!


So, what needs to be voted on next? The last item that seems to be in question for me is my means of travel for the long haul and how/if my special friend is going to come along. I think that two of us are pretty stuck together, but we are quite different in the "means of travel" department. Oleg is a bit more “prepared” than I am. If it were up to me, I would just ride my bike until I got tired. He has some other things in mind.

Since this particular poll topic is a bit outside of my control, I have asked Oleg to make the selections. Question: How should my special travel friend make his way South?

 The options he has chosen are as follows:
  • Bicycle + trailer 
  • Tricycle/sailing catamaran  
  • 4x4 camper van + sailboat on trailer 
  • Sailboat + bikes 
  • Veggie Oil Powered house boat
Sigh. After reading those options, maybe you can start to understand what I have been dealing with here. In each of these scenarios, I would still be riding my bike –at least to the Redwoods. That’s not the question. What is in question, however, is the means at which my very dear and very strange special friend is going to follow me.  He is willing to take your votes into consideration, so please impart your wisdom in the comments and in my very scientific poll over there. à

Thank you and wish me luck.

COUNTDOWN: 57 days

No comments:

Post a Comment