Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Project Hands On

Part of this whole "voluntourista" thing is actually volunteering. Currently, I'm not exactly an excellent candidate for some volunteer work, because I will be leaving relatively shortly, and I can't make a real commitment to an organization. I do, however, want to help.

Honestly, getting started as a volunteer in any capacity can be daunting. If you're looking to get involved doing something, but you're not quite sure what, like I am, I suggest hooking up with your local Hands On Network. If they aren't directly operating a volunteer referral office in your area, they may know someone who is.

One of the great reasons to volunteer through Hands On is the supported volunteer events. This means that the network has recruited a volunteer team leader to help orient new volunteers. Having a person like this can make it easier to be helpful in a new environment.

Since I'm looking to be helpful in the short term with few recognizable skills, I think it would be best for me to join a few of these HandsOn supported "done in a day" projects. Hands on Portland does a great job of outlining volunteer opportunities in a simple calendar, many of the other cities linked up to the Hands On Network have the same easy to use web-site. I just signed up, logged in, and got started.

I chose two projects to get my toes wet in the wild world of episodic volunteering. First! In honor of my mother, I am going to sort through reusable materials at The Rebuilding Center with Our United Villages. Than as a nod to the food bank, I shall serve a free hot meal to anyone in need with Potluck in the Park. Combined the projects only require 6 hours of my time and should be quite fun. If you don't mind getting a bit dirty and lifting some things around.

Also, through Hands On you can also find referral projects that get you in touch directly with the organization that your helping. This is a better way to make a long lasting connection and ultimately a larger impact. Who knows? If it turns out I like to sort through scrap materials or serving food, I might just stick around and do it again.

PS. Yes, I'm still volunteering with Skate Club and have learned how to turn around on my board, and even do that cool move where you step on it and catch it in your hand. This is not as easy at it may sound.
Also, You will be delighted to know that my ankle isn't sprained, just twisted. More updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment