Sunday, February 12, 2012

Getting there is Half the Fun. Right?

He's looking at submarines right now.

We've probably had this conversation a million times. What is the best way to travel? We seem to fluctuate anywhere between strapping a 40-foot trailer to his ready for anything Cold War Van to an ultra-light self supported bike trip. We were starting to settle in on bike touring with inflatable boats when this submarine thing hit. I wasn't having it.

"So submarines are a deal breaker?" he pries. "Would you fly with me? Which would you do first? Fly or submarine? Both homemade."

"Both? Homemade?"

"Well, not homemade....I'd rent a garage...to make them in." I chuckle. I can't tell if he realized he's made a joke or not.

Unfortunately, its not really that funny. He could be serious. If I didn't want to travel the world by submarine, I better speak up now. "Sorry, dear. I am not about to die in your submarine o' recycled materials."  He has the same affinity for recycling and aversion to trash as I do. I'm surprised we don't live beneath piles of scrap materials.

"Fair enough." He's still clicking and searching. A big grin creeps across his face, "I can see this half-submarine thing working for you though," he turns around the computer screen to show me.

Now there's the ticket. I'd take a half-submarine for sure.

You're never quite sure where he's gonna land concerning this topic. He has a wild imagination, and them internets sure can take you for a ride.

I'm pretty set on biking to the Redwoods and beyond. He's also into the idea, but honestly, I don't see Ooie doing the lightweight camping thing. We'll see what he settles on or if he settles at all.

The future is definitely uncertain.... to say the least.

He has his first sailing lesson today at noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment