Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy Accidents


After the little afternoon at the river, I started to think more about "serendipity" an how much it plays into my philosophy on life. As it goes, I choose to read and accept 'signs' as they come to me. This isn't exactly easy to explain, but perhaps an example would help.

Let see. I currently live where I do because I am of the the hippy-dippy "listen to the universe" ilk. About two months ago I was unhappy with where I was staying. I wasn't exactly sure what to do next. I had the same uncertainty of future that I do now, but without a timeline or a next step.

Painting above my bed
At just the right time I hear word that there is a room opening up in the house where many of my very best friends live. Its a partial sublet, which means that every once and a while I need to... find a different place to live. As awful as that may sound, its the perfect living situation for what I've been calling my, "transitional phase."  It's less expensive, and is forcing me to ease into a more transient lifestyle.

Wait, is that serendipitous? Is the room opening up the serendipitous part? or me deciding to jump on the offer? or what?

Just like anyone else, I decide to look it up on Dictionary.com



Wait, should I train for a career in Criminal Justice? Is he cheating on me? Gah! Never mind, back to the matter at hand.

Serendipity. Yes. I do, in fact,  have an "aptitude" for making desirable discoveries by accident, and things often work out for me--or at least I choose to remember the times that things work out for me.

I don't necessarily think it is some sort of cosmic gift. I am convinced that by choosing to listen to the "signs" that come up, I am actually just listening to myself. Its kinda like flipping a coin to make a decision but not necessarily doing  what the coin says. But instead, noticing that you flinch when the coin lands on heads and doing the opposite.

But really, I didn't think that serendipity was an "aptitude" or even luck like dictionary.com says. So where do you turn next? Why Wikipedia, of course.

Wikipedia says:
Serendipity means a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful without looking for it. 
It also says that serendipity is one of the top ten most difficult words to translate, which is a whole 'nother story. Ugh.

Anyway, moving on...

The second half of my aptitude for desirable discoveries is deciding that things are in fact, desirable discoveries. I was once told that deja vu is a sign that you are on the right path--whatever that means. Somewhere along the line this concept got twisted into a how I currently decide if I'm on the right path.

You see that painting up there? The one that is hanging above my bed? Well, about two years ago I was a at a garage sale in Washington with one of my best friends. I begged her to buy this painting for me. For some reason, I felt like I needed it. A bit out of character for me, but whatever.

She bought it, because she is amazing. That evening, however, I didn't take the painting back to my house. I bike everywhere and I can't take home a 12-pack of toilet paper let alone a full painting. So, I left the painting in her garage and forgot about it.

Years later, I end up renting a room in that same friend's house, and guess what? Hanging above my bed is that very painting. I didn't realize it at first; I just knew that I liked it. But later, I find out the story behind the painting, and that I had picked it out in the first place. The guy that lives in my room found it in the basement and hung it above his bed... and months...maybe years later, I take shelter in its shadow.

Therefore, I'm convinced I'm on the "right path".

BONUS SERENDIPITOUSNESS
for my reference and yours
  1. Right after I decided to write this entry, I see a car with SRNDPTY for a licence plate at the coffee shop where I am enjoying a beverage
  2. The Raw Food Detox Diet Book was dropped off at the house I was staying just when I was wondering why I get sick all the time.
  3. And finally, there is a cat at Ooie's sailing class named Shmoopy. Don't ask. 
  4. UPDATE 2/16: Ran into Metin again at a coffee shop. He gave me a poem about love at just the right time in my life.
  5. UPDATE 2/17: I run into an old friend whom I haven't seen in while, and she reveals that she has a skill that I never knew about; she grew up her entire life sailing and would love to get back on a boat. 
  6. UPDATE: 2/18: My horoscope (I know, gross horoscopes) in a publication I rarely read, but do support, suggests that I need to write more, and include more romance in my writing. Weird.
I wish I could think of more examples, but I am sure they will come. I'm not crazy, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment